I want to comment on the controls.
With how dynamic flash games are, the tutorial should instruct the player using his configuration instead of saying "press default key to attack." Having to ignore the on-screen instructions and remembering what configuration I just set for a game I'd never before played threw me off a bit. (It's also a good idea to display the current configuration in the option menu.)
A control configuration should be included in the pause menu. It sucks having to quit and restart the game if you decide you should change the controls.
How come you won't let me use the Num Pad keys for movement? I'm cursed with a "compact" keboard that saves a whole inch of space by having microscopic arrow keys, so I use the Num Pad instead. But, whether NumLock is toggled off or on, trying to map movement to the Num Pad simply mapped the commands to the number keys that run across the top of the keyboard.
Directional positioning is too "sticky": If I attack while facing right, and my enemy jumps behind me, I'll press and hold left and continue to hit the attack key. But instead of attacking to the left, my fighter will keep attacking to the right, even though I'm pressing left.
Sometimes when taking hits while facing my enemy, I'll return the attack, without pressing any movement keys, only to find that I'm suddenly facing the opposite direction, thus attacking in the wrong direction and putting my self in a vulnerable state.
These are honestly all good suggestions. I'll keep them in mind for later installments, for sure.
Fun Zombie Mayhem
Fun game, but a few things that pissed me off when I tried to play:
* Long reload. In any commercial shooter I've ever played, the guns reloaded a helluva lot faster, even when you had to manually reload--the only exception being Shadow Warrior's single-fire nuclear warhead. (Even the double barrel shot gun in good old Doom 2 reloaded much faster.)
* Can't change weapons while reloading. How often do you see an action flick where the hero WAITS to finish reloading his machine gun before pulling out his sawed off shot gun to get the monster that's right in his face? The player should be able to change weapons while reloading, even if the reload clock for the deselected weapon is paused. Too often I'd spray individual zombies with a machine gun, then switch over to the shotgun for a crowd, have to reload after 1 or 2 shots, then switch back to the machine gun and have to reload immeadiatly AGAIN after only 3 shots. I found it pointless to bother with any weapon alternation strategy because of the frequent, long reload times. Maybe impliment a reload button whereby the gun reloads each bullet as fast as the player can hit the button (with some guns reloading more bullets per button press).
* Shooting zombies near the base kept knocking them INTO the base. This puts them into a prime position to inflict damage, while keeping them away from weapons whose effectiveness varies by distance.
Nice. Could have done well with a "play all" button so that I wouldn't have to wait for the menu to replay after each clip (albeit a short wait). Maybe it's just my cruddy monitor, but the backgrounds seemed too dark for black stick figures.
Nephi on NG front page?!
Heh, I thought I was imagining things!
Fun game, good concepts.
Suggestions to impove the interface:
* It would be nice if the actions tray could be optionally reduced in size or eliminated, because I often felt like it was in the way (especially before I figured out it could be moved).
* It would be REALLY NICE if the mouse icon could be changed by a press of a key (like maybe Z, X, C, V). I know this is gonna sound really ridiculus, being a "point and click" game, but, being the keyboard-surfer that I am, I hate using the mouse more than I have to, and so it's a real bother to have to frequently go back and fourth to the action tray.
* Being able to skip through dialogue by clicking or pressing a key would be nice. Dispite how amusing it is (in any game) it tends to become less amusing when you get stumped and you go back through all the different dialogue pathes to look for the clue you missed.
Thanks for the suggestions...I think they're all good ones. It's still kind of surreal for me to see the game on NG front page too.
It's got potentional, but here are some pointers that would have gotten it a higher score:
* Rendering Quality: You should install a Quality button. At the instructions screen I'd manually set quality to Low, and then when the game started, quality would be Medium again, so I'd have to stop and change it again, while to clock ticked away.
* Graphics: The graphics are actually really nice looking, but they're TOO detailed, which is the major contributor to the game's slow-down. For how small they appear during game play, simplified images would suffice.
* Object descriptions: At the end of the game, each item is displayed and described. Putting this information before the game start (at least about the power-ups) would have been much more benefitial to the player.
I liked keeping the power ups and objects secret, mostly the Mansion though, it provides 10000+ points I think.
That fady-colored moleman needs some color touchup.
Oooo, I accidently found the level select!
I kept playing until level 50...then I quit. The game is too simple. Are there any consequences for missing targets (aside from slowdown)? Here are some suggestiongs
*Targets that shoot back + a player health gauge
*Ammo limits + ammo power-ups
*More music. That one song stopped at one point and nothing replaced it.
It was kinda hard to get lined up right with some of the orcs since they come in at angles and your fighter can't face those directions.
What's the criteria for your guy dying? I didn't see any health meter, and he seemed to randomly die from just one or up to three hits.
I gave up playing when I was slain by *nothing* after I killed an orc.
Health bar added in new version
Too often, I click and the guy doesn't shoot!
I don't mean to sound harsh, but I hope this gets blammed so that you have the extra motivation to improve this game and resubmit it. That I would like to play.
Dude, you gotta click a ZOMBIE to shoot, just how I made it...CLICK A ZOMBIE, not the wall XD.
Fun, but a bad bug
On level four, I keep running into a bug where, when collecting the glucose, EVERYTHING but the amoeba disappears, and I enivitably run into an unseen virus and die.
Also, more different music would be nice.
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.